This week we are featuring the kingfisher, with words and a picture from Louise Thomas. They are often hard to spot but are one of the most beautiful birds you will see.
"Sacred kingfishers/kōtare (Todiramphus sanctus) seem special to me. A lightning flash of brilliant blue as they nip down from the power lines over the river or one of the posts they like to perch on to snatch a crab or little fish – the strike operation takes only seconds, barely breaking the water. I’ve almost given up trying to catch one on my camera diving. They are ruthless with their food, smashing in on their post, presumably to kill it, before swallowing it whole. I haven’t seen him for a few months, but I had one who liked to visit the garden off and on. He was a loveable, if badly behaved, guest, throwing up indigestible crab bits and staking out the compost bin where a mouse lives – he used to watch it with such intensity, like he was trying to use his mind meld powers to make the mouse run out. Come to think of it, I haven't seen the mouse for awhile either. Hmmm. Here is a young chap (an immature) with his chest still mottled from Pauatahanui the other day."
Are your houseplants looking worse for wear? The experts at Kings Plant Barn would love to help. Send us your houseplant questions and problems to email@example.com, or leave them in the comments, for the houseplant doctor to diagnose. Pictures are encouraged.
From 6am tomorrow morning, Auckland will move to Alert Level 3 and the rest of New Zealand will move to Alert Level 2. The measures will remain in place for the next seven days.
More details available at www.covid19.govt.nz....
**UPDATED:** 10.52pm Saturday 27 Feb
From 6am Sunday 28 February, Auckland will move to Alert Level 3 and the rest of the country will move to Alert Level 2.
Here's what you need to know:
- Case M, the latest Covid-19 case, is a 21-year-old male, the older sibling of a Papatoetoe High School student.
- If you have symptoms of concern, call the NZ Covid-19 Healthline on 0800 358 5453 or call your GP.
- Find your closest Covid-19 testing location on the Healthpoint website
- Essential services such as supermarkets and pharmacies will remain open.
- Customer-facing businesses will need to move to non-contact methods of payment and collection.
- See the full list of guidelines under Alert Level 3 and Alert Level 2
- Keep up-to-date with the latest by following the Stuff live blog
Neighbourly will be updating this message as further information comes to hand.