With salad season coming up I thought I would give you a little information about the humble cucumber.
1. Contain B1, B2, B6, Folate, Vit C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Zinc.
2. Is a great pick-me-up when afternoon tiredness sets in.
3. Rubbing a slice of cucumber on the bathroom mirror stops it fogging up.
4. Place a few slices of cucumber in an aluminium can or dish to eliminate bugs, slugs and snails from gardens. They don't like the scent given off by the phytochemicals in the cucumber when it reacts with the aluminium.
5. Rub slices on skin to tighten it up. The phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen to firm up the outer layer reducing visibility of cellulite and wrinkles.
6. A slice of cucumber polishes shoes beautifully.
7. A slice of cucumber fixes squeaky hinges.
8. A slice of cucumber held on the roof of the mouth with tongue for 30 seconds will eliminate bad breath.
9. Rub a slice of cucumber on stainless steel benches, taps etc to eliminate tarnish.
10. Use the outside of the cucumber to rub on mistakes and erase ink, crayons and markers.
Another year has nearly passed, and with every new one comes the chance to make new resolutions (or repeat your old ones). Whether it’s starting and sticking by a new fitness plan, saving to travel, or learning a new skill, do you have a New Year’s resolution? How good are you at sticking by it? Vote in the poll below.
7.5% Yes - I’m excited to implement it7.5% Complete
34% No - I never stick by them34% Complete
20.8% I haven’t thought about it yet20.8% Complete
37.7% I make goals throughout the year37.7% Complete
This gluten free shortbread can made in shapes to fit a Xmas theme. It would make a lovely personal gift for a gluten free person packaged in a nice jar or box and tied with a ribbon.
11/2 cups fine polenta
3/4 cup rice flour
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it forms a smooth dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and roll out to about 1cm thick. Cut into desired shapes and place on a tray covered with baking paper. Leave a 2 cm space between biscuits. Prick biscuits with a fork. Cook in preheated oven at 150C for around 25 minutes until crisp.