10 days ago

We Say/You Say: Water Conservation

The Team from Community News

Hi Auckland,

What are your water-saving hacks?

Water restrictions for the city are to remain in place until August, and similar bans on water use may return next summer.

Watercare is set to ask council to remove restrictions on outdoor water use, if rain forecasts, the state of the region’s storage lakes, and a new supply boost all eventuate as hoped.

Watercare said Aucklanders had significantly cut water use, and the biggest supply boost – another 50 million litres a day from the Waikato River – should be available from August.

Presently, Auckland's dams are 51.4 per cent full compared with an average of 76.6, and Auckland's water usage is more than 10 per cent lower than Watercare had estimated.

Share your saving tips below and don't forget to type NFP if you don't want your comments used in your local community paper.
Read more

Image
More messages from your neighbours
5 days ago

Poll: Do you support the fine increase for using a mobile while driving from $80 to $150?

Caryn Wilkinson Reporter from Community News

Drivers have been captured on camera boldly using their phones while driving, to video call, text and make calls.

The footage, taken in Auckland, comes as the Government increased the cost of a fine for using a cellphone while driving from $80 to $150.

Over the course of a week, ahead of the fine increase, a Stuff visual journalist captured numerous people using their phones while driving, including a woman who appeared to be on a video call while passing through an intersection, a man speaking on the phone and numerous people texting or looking at their phone.

Last year, police issued more than 40,000 infringement notices for the offence.

A driver for Dingo Groundworx NZ was captured using their phone while driving a truck along Williamson Ave, in Ponsonby.

Owner Cameron Hadley told Stuff all employees were very aware they should not be using their phones while driving.

He said he would be raising the issue in a staff meeting.

AA road safety spokesman Dylan Thomsen told Stuff he wasn’t surprised to hear about the woman video calling while driving.

While AA supports the Government’s fine increase, Thomsen said it wasn’t going to solve the problem.

“People just can’t resist the temptation if they hear their phone go off ... it’s not something you do by accident.”

“A lot of people use their phone behind the wheel and don’t do other risky things.”

He hopes as there are further advancements in technology, phone companies can have default “do not disturb” modes that activate as soon as drivers start moving in their car.

“Until we change the mindset it will be hard with enforcement alone, people don’t appreciate the risks until it’s too late,” Thomsen said.

To see video footage, go here:

www.stuff.co.nz...

*Please put NFP if you do not want your comments used by Stuff.

Image
Do you support the fine increase for using a mobile while driving from $80 to $150?
  • 90.2% Yes
    90.2% Complete
  • 8.1% No
    8.1% Complete
  • 1.7% Unsure- it's too complex
    1.7% Complete
1808 votes
1 hour ago

Mother's Day

NumberWorks'nWords Remuera

Thank you to all our amazing Mum's from the team at NumberWorks'nWords.

Image
2 hours ago

1st Auckland Cavell Guide Unit Set to Celebrate Centenary

Caryn Wilkinson Reporter from Community News

Did you use to belong to the 1st Auckland Cavell Girl Guide Unit?

If so, the brigade wants to hear from you!

The 1st Auckland Cavell Girl Guide Unit turns 100 in July and is still seeking old girls to join the celebrations.

One of the first girl guide units to be formed in Auckland, the group is gearing up to commemorate its centenary.

A social afternoon is planned for July 3, kicking off at 2pm with historic guiding activities such as knot tying and making arm slings.

Guests will be treated to afternoon tea and a birthday cake before photographs are taken of the girls.

The day will end with a singalong around the campfire.

The next day, a church parade will march through St Andrews Church, Epsom, where the unit has been meeting since 1921.

Parishioners are invited to a morning tea after the procession.

The unit, initially known as the St Andrew's Peace Scout Group, is believed to be the first guide company which has kept going since it was launched.

It all started when eighteen-year-old Mona Burgin wrote to the Dominion chief scout Colonel Cosgrove, a New Zealand Boer War veteran, asking about Girl Peace Scouts.

He arranged to meet her in Queen St, Auckland and wrote she would recognize him by the red flower in his buttonhole.

Soon after the meeting Burgin formed the troop on July 6.

Girl Peace Scouts wore khaki uniforms and the St Andrews troop wore a red open-ended tie.

In 1923, the Dominion Council became affiliated with the original Girls Guides Association in London.

*Former unit members can email cavellgirlguidesnz@gmail.com for details of the centenary.