Salted herring completes the salted and canned goods quartet that is often used in Russian cuisine. The other three being canned goby fish, salted sprats and smoked mackerel.
Salted, smoked herring or herring in oil traditionally serves with boiled potatoes, chopped chives and crisp dark rye bread.
Also you can prepare special salad, calls "Herring under a Fur Coat". It is a traditional layered salad made of finely chopped pickled herring, eggs, beets, carrots, potatoes and some type of dressing, either mayonnaise or a sour cream base.
Make sure to prepare this salad at least 6 hours in advance so it can be chilled properly and sliced to show off the layers. This pretty salad can be a meat-free meal, side dish or served on a buffet table with other salads.
* 3 large potatoes boiled in their jackets (cooled, peeled, and finely chopped or shredded)
* 4 large unpeeled carrots (boiled, cooled, peeled, and finely chopped or shredded)
* 3 large beets boiled in their skins (cooled, peeled, and finely chopped or shredded)
* 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
* 1 medium or large (depending on taste) red or yellow onion (finely chopped)
* 4 fillets of pickled herring in oil (finely chopped)
* 4 large hard-cooked eggs (finely chopped)
* Black pepper to taste
* Garnish: parsley or dill
Steps to Make It
1. Gather the ingredients.
2. In the same large saucepan, boil 3 large potatoes in their jackets, 4 large unpeeled carrots, and 3 large beets until tender. The carrots will take about 15 to 20 minutes, the potatoes will take about 40 minutes and the beets will take 1 hour or more. Just remove the vegetables that become tender but not mushy and continue cooking the rest.
3. Peel while still warm, cool completely and shred the carrots and beets and finely chop the potatoes.
4. Place a ring mold or the ring from a springform pan on a pretty serving platter. This also can be assembled free form in a round or oval shape or in a 13x9-inch pan.
5. First place the entire portion of chopped potatoes on the bottom, patting into an even layer. Spread 1/3 of the mayonnaise on top to completely cover the potatoes.
6. Place 1/2 of the beets, then 1/2 of the carrots and 1/2 of the finely chopped onion, all of the chopped pickled herring, and 1/3 of the mayonnaise.
7. Then layer the remainder of the onion and carrots, all of the chopped eggs and black pepper to taste, the remainder of the mayonnaise, and the remainder of the beets and pack down.
8. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving
Good news for you! We offer homemade salad in our bakery.
We got range of new plywood & vanities:-
Showroom at 7B Douglas Alexander Parade Rosedale, Albany
or email- firstname.lastname@example.org for more details
Health Minister Chris Hipkins is telling Aucklanders to wear a face mask as the city heads into an alert level 3 lockdown today.
“My advice to everyone watching this is: ‘Wear one’,” Hipkins told Stuff.
He said the Government was still working on legal issues around making masks compulsory.
A legal order under the new Covid-19 legislation would be issued on Wednesday. This would give legal effect to the alert levels in Auckland and the rest of the country.
Click here to read more.
After 102 days without community transmission in New Zealand, there are now four new cases of Covid-19.
The source of the four new cases, which are based in south Auckland, has not yet been identified.
In an urgent press conference on Tuesday night, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced a three-day level 3 lockdown of the Auckland region, and urged anyone who is unwell to seek health advice and get a test. The rest of the country moves to level 2.
Click here to find out what we know so far about what the lockdown from midday today means for Auckland.