Blocked drains are inconvenient and unpleasant to deal with, but here are some things you can do to make them less likely to happen:
1. Scrape food scraps off plates into the bin (not down the sink)
2. Put fat, oil and grease into the bin too
3. Use drain strainers to catch food residue in the kitchen and hair/fibres/soap scum in the bathroom & laundry
4. Run just hot water in sinks and showers at least once a week to prevent a build-up of dirt and residues
5. Only flush The Three P's (pee, poo and paper) down your toilet
If your drain gets blocked, avoid using harsh chemicals as these can damage your plumbing system over time. Contact your local Master Plumber for a professional service: www.masterplumbers.org.nz...
The Tokyo Olympics are about to kick off, and some of our country's best sports stars are set to represent New Zealand on the world stage.
The opening ceremony takes place on Friday (about 11pm NZ time), and the Games will run through until August 8.
Over the next two-and-a-half weeks, some of the world’s best athletes competing in a range of sports will battle it out in Tokyo in the hopes of walking away with a medal.
So get your New Zealand flags and popcorn ready and sign up for our Tokyo Olympics newsletter to have all the highlights, talking points, medal tally and analysis delivered to your inbox every day. Click here.
We'll also be live blogging our Kiwi athletes' events every day of the Games. Just bookmark this page to stay up to date.
Our Pet of the Day is Toby Boy from Waikanae Beach who belongs to Karen Gillam.
Remember if you want your pet featured on Neighbourly, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org with a recent photo. Please remember to say what suburb you live in.
This could be a tricky one. Who knows the history of this photo?