• The fleece of sheep has been used to make human clothing since the Stone Age.
• Wool flourishes where there is rain and sunshine. These two elements sustain the grassy fields that sheep graze on. Shearers shave off the wool every year before the weather gets too hot. Wool is the ultimate renewable fibre.
• Wool from about 61 sheep extend all the way from the earth to the moon.
• Wool may be made from mixtures of hair from sheep, alpaca, llama, camel, cashmere, mohair, angora, vicuna, yak, guanaco, beaver or otter. No animals are harmed in the harvesting of wool.
• Wool is flame-resistant. It will not melt and stick to your skin like synthetic fibres. Instead, wool will usually smoulder and extinguish itself when the source of the flame has been removed. The fibre of choice for casinos and airlines.
• The fastest recorded time to shear a sheep is 39.31 seconds by Hilton Barrett of Australia.
• Wool is composed of same protein that makes up the outer protective layer of your skin.
• Have you ever wondered why your wool socks withstand foot stench longer than cotton or synthetic socks? Wool is naturally mildew and mould resistant because it is a natural moisture repellent, MEANING LESS STINK. Wool also reduces dust mite activity (they do not like wool!).
• Over its lifetime, a sheep’s fleece will absorb approximately 30Kg of carbon dioxide.
• Renewable, recyclable, and naturally biodegradable; choosing wool minimizes the amount of waste that sits in landfills. Wool biodegrades in weeks to less than 1 year depending on environmental conditions. This is due to its high nitrogen content.
• Wool products can last for 15 to 20 years (or more)
• Wool can absorb indoor contaminants, including formaldehyde, sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide and locks them away in the fibre core. It is naturally soil and stain resistant, attracts less dirt and dust due to anti-static properties and requires less cleaning than synthetic fabrics.
• Wool fibres have a crimped texture so when it’s packed more tightly together lots of tiny pockets of air form. This structure means that it can absorb and release wick away moisture, allowing your skin to breathe so you feel fresh as a daisy.
• Due to its crimped structure, wool is naturally elastic, and so wool garments have the ability to stretch to your shape but can then return to their original state. It is also resistant to tearing and requires less processing to make it useable.
• Wool’s high nitrogen and water content makes it naturally flame resistant. Wool does not ignite easily and will self-extinguish. Should wool burn it does not melt while burning. Wool produces less smoke and toxic fumes during combustion than synthetic fibres, making it a far safer choice.
This is your final chance to grab our FREE 3-month Premium Business Listing!
Usually $150, your 3-month Premium Business Listing enables you to reach thousands of people who live around your business! Find friendly locals who want your services, introduce your team and share what makes you stand out from the rest.
There's no catches and no hidden fees. It's just our small way of saying thank you for playing such an essential part in our communities.
Grab your FREE 3 Month Premium Business Listing now!
*offer ends 31 October
Approaching later primary school years can be a time of mixed emotions for students and their parents. Independence is emerging in the form of homework and study time, interest in specific subject areas might be developing, and ideas about the world and how to make a positive impact are surfacing.
By working together with your child to build these 5 actions, habits can be formed now in time to start high school in the coming years, with confidence.
We know it's our first long weekend since June and many of us are itching to hit the roads, but there's no need to rush. Make sure to slow down, buckle up and have a plan so that you can arrive safely to wherever you're going. 💖
If you're getting behind the wheel:
🌧 Drive to conditions
↔️ Keep a safe following distance
😇 Be patient with other drivers
☕️ Take regular breaks to stay alert
⌚️ Allow plenty of time
👉 Use that indicator!
For the latest traffic updates: