Update on Beach Haven Coastal Connection:
Next week the Kaipatiki Local Board will be considering a number of long-awaited exciting projects, including Stage 1 and 2 of the Beach Haven Coastal Connection track upgrade!
Stage 1 is for the upgrade of existing tracks throughout Shepherds Park. It can begin soon after it is approved, and is expected to be completed by March 2022. Stage 1 includes:
* Upgrade of most of the tracks through the bush in the North-Western bush area (shown in light blue and yellow),
* Upgrade of the loop path to an accessible standard (shown in yellow),
* Extension of the concrete path to provide accessible access to the lookout (shown in black),
* Safety upgrade of the lookout area, including a level viewing area and a new fence set back from the cliff-edge (shown in pink),
* Upgrade of the entrance to Hellyers Creek Reserve at the dip in Beach Haven Road (shown in light blue).
Stage 2 is for the upgrade of tracks throughout Hellyers Creek Reserve. It can begin as soon as consent is approved, which is expected to be in March 2022 with completion by June 2023 (final maps still to come). Stage 2 includes:
* Upgrade of tracks to a step-free standard from the lookout in Shepherds Park, through Hellyers Creek Reserve around the coast to Beach Haven Road,
* Realignment of several sections to avoid wet areas and provide step-free access, including a boardwalk near the Lancaster Road entrance.
In 2019 the Local Board consulted on several options for enhancing the Beach Haven Coastal Connection to provide a continuous link from Tui Park through to Witherford Reserve & Eskdale Reserve. Unfortunately due to COVID-19-related budget cuts, the funding that we had tagged to the project was pushed out until at least 2024/25 and is now referred to as Stage 3.
Below are the results of the consultation, however this may need to be repeated when the funding becomes available again:
* 28% - Do Nothing (option 1)
* 72% - Proceed with Option 2, 3, 4a or 4b.
Of the 72% who chose to proceed, the options were ranked as follows:
* 53% - Option 4b: Glulam bridge from behind Paragon Ave to near Lancaster Rd, and boardwalk from behind O'Donn Ave to Kahika Reserve.
* 50% - Option 2: Boardwalk between Shepherds Park and Tui Park.
* 42% - Option 3: Boardwalk between Shepherds Park and Tui Park, with a spur to Tui Park Beach.
* 35% - Option 4a: Suspension bridge between Shepherds Park near the football club to behind Paragon Avenue.
NOTE that the football club to Paragon Ave portion of Option 4a, and the Paragon Ave to Lancaster Rd portion of option 4b, are now redundant because alternative designs for these portions are being incorporated into Stage 2 of the track upgrades.
If you've ever struggled with this question, houseplant collector Moira West (400 indoor plants and growing!) has the answers.
Summer is nearly here and for many folks it is time to head to the beach. Whether you have your own batch or rent one it can be interesting to know about sea level rise, risk posed by storms, and of course tsunami.
With the Climate Insights property report you can get information on all three ocean-related events. With easy to read graphs and insights for reducing your family's and a property's risk it is an essential part of your coastal awareness toolkit.
Large number of retailers, wholesalers, & distributors offering specials for ONE DAY ONLY!
Arts & Crafts, Electronics, Fashion, Food & Wine, Health & Beauty, Home & Living, Sports & Outdoors, Toys, Hobbies, Games & Books.
View our ONE DAY SALE participating businesses, Shopper’s Guide & Map at; businessnh.org.nz...
See you on Saturday 4th December & shop for some amazing ONE DAY ONLY specials!