20 days ago

Have you seen missing 71-year-old Remus Jackson?

Kendall Hutt Reporter from Auckland Stuff

Hi neighbours. 71-year-old Remus Jackson was last seen around 7.30am Wednesday on Pah Rd, Epsom. Police are very concerned for his welfare as he has a medical condition and requires regular medication.
Jackson is described as being 168 centimetres tall and of medium build. If you know where he is or you see him, please contact police on 105 quoting file number 210414/4538.

Image
More messages from your neighbours
2 days ago

Poll: Do you support the fine increase for using a mobile while driving from $80 to $150?

Caryn Wilkinson Reporter from Community News

Drivers have been captured on camera boldly using their phones while driving, to video call, text and make calls.

The footage, taken in Auckland, comes as the Government increased the cost of a fine for using a cellphone while driving from $80 to $150.

Over the course of a week, ahead of the fine increase, a Stuff visual journalist captured numerous people using their phones while driving, including a woman who appeared to be on a video call while passing through an intersection, a man speaking on the phone and numerous people texting or looking at their phone.

Last year, police issued more than 40,000 infringement notices for the offence.

A driver for Dingo Groundworx NZ was captured using their phone while driving a truck along Williamson Ave, in Ponsonby.

Owner Cameron Hadley told Stuff all employees were very aware they should not be using their phones while driving.

He said he would be raising the issue in a staff meeting.

AA road safety spokesman Dylan Thomsen told Stuff he wasn’t surprised to hear about the woman video calling while driving.

While AA supports the Government’s fine increase, Thomsen said it wasn’t going to solve the problem.

“People just can’t resist the temptation if they hear their phone go off ... it’s not something you do by accident.”

“A lot of people use their phone behind the wheel and don’t do other risky things.”

He hopes as there are further advancements in technology, phone companies can have default “do not disturb” modes that activate as soon as drivers start moving in their car.

“Until we change the mindset it will be hard with enforcement alone, people don’t appreciate the risks until it’s too late,” Thomsen said.

To see video footage, go here:

www.stuff.co.nz...

*Please put NFP if you do not want your comments used by Stuff.

Image
Do you support the fine increase for using a mobile while driving from $80 to $150?
  • 90.1% Yes
    90.1% Complete
  • 8.1% No
    8.1% Complete
  • 1.8% Unsure- it's too complex
    1.8% Complete
1121 votes
1 hour ago

Mother’s Day at Red Cross Browns Bay

The Team from Red Cross Shop Browns Bay

Every mum is special! We can help you to find a perfect gift for her 😉 Vintage and modern accessories, beauty and homeware products, cute trinkets and much much more! Make your mum feel special because she deserves it.
We are open Monday to Saturday 10-4:30
3 Inverness Rd,Browns Bay

Image
2 hours ago

We Say/You Say: Queen Street

The Team from Community News

Kia ora Auckland,

Should Queen Street be car-free?

Major roading upgrades are set to get underway on Queen Street which the council says will improve pedestrian spaces.

The work is set to begin on Monday between Shortland and Customs streets, limiting traffic to a single lane each way and with bus priority in the evening peak.

Some have expressed their concerns for the project including a group of businesses and landlords calling itself Save Queen. The group applied for an interim injunction to halt the council's planned Queen St upgrade and a High Court Judge will decide whether to approve the injunction later today.

Should the upgrade go even further and ban passenger vehicles altogether? Let us know in the comments and don't forget to type NFP if you don't want your comment used in your local community paper.

Image