After more than a year of closed borders, Australians and New Zealanders will soon be able to jet-hop between countries after the government announced that the trans-Tasman travel bubble is to be operational from April 19.
With quarantine-free travel now possible, are you more likely to head across the Tasman or travel domestically?
Fronting Australian media yesterday, Jacinda Ardern not only spoke of the excitement of families being able to be reunited, but also pitched New Zealand tourist activities to Australian viewers.
"If there is a hot spot in one of the states of Australia we may just act in the same way that another state would ... Just prepare that there may be disruptions, but what better place in the world to be stuck. Am I right?," she said.
The trans-Tasman bubble will operate on a three tier basis: Continue, Pause and Suspend. If there are a few cases in Australia linked to the border, quarantine-free travel will continue. Travel may be paused for 72 hours if there are rogue community cases and in the instance of a state or nationwide lockdown, travel will be suspended.
Share your thoughts below and don't forget to type NFP if you don't want your comment featured in the Conversations page of the The Hutt News.
Kia ora neighbours,
What do you think about the Snapper card extension to Wellington Train services?
Snapper will be rolled out on Wellington train services from October this year, ending over a century of paper ticket use.
The Johnsonville Line will be the first to trial the paperless system, with a full roll out dependent on the finalisation of commercial negotiations.
This is seen as a step towards Waka Kotahi's planned National Ticketing Solution, an initiative that would see all of New Zealand's public transport centralised on one payment system. It would let commuters pay for their journey through a credit/debit card, similar to London's Oyster Card, in use since 2011.
Share your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to type NFP if you don't want your comments featured in The Hutt News.
Students shut out of their classrooms because of toxic mould say the problem is a symptom of chronic underfunding for the upkeep of public schools.
About 350 Year 12 and 13 pupils at Hutt Valley High School have had to do half their weekly learning at home since Monday after unsafe levels of black mould was discovered in 13 learnings spaces and a dance studio earlier this year.
At a meeting held in the school hall on Thursday night to update the community on how the school and the Ministry of Education planned to respond to the situation, deputy head student Lucy Rodger said while she was happy to see progress, the commitment by the ministry to demolish and rebuild C block was “horrendously and frustratingly overdue”.
The decision not to extend a new Wellington Airport bus service to Lower Hutt has been described by proponents as “a slap in the face” to ratepayers.
Wellington has been without a direct bus route to the airport since the Airport Flyer service stopped operating in November. It had been running, through Wellington city and onto Lower Hutt, for 20 years but was axed by the Airport and NZ Bus after it was found to be too costly.
The Greater Wellington Regional Council has committed to including a bus between Wellington city and the airport as part of its Metlink public transport network but the new service would not continue to Lower Hutt.
Hutt South MP Ginny Andersen, Lower Hutt-based National MP Chris Bishop, Lower Hutt mayor Campbell Barry and Hutt City Councillor Deborah Hislop have been calling for the service to return to the Hutt.