Blocked drains are inconvenient and unpleasant to deal with, but here are some things you can do to make them less likely to happen:
1. Scrape food scraps off plates into the bin (not down the sink)
2. Put fat, oil and grease into the bin too
3. Use drain strainers to catch food residue in the kitchen and hair/fibres/soap scum in the bathroom & laundry
4. Run just hot water in sinks and showers at least once a week to prevent a build-up of dirt and residues
5. Only flush The Three P's (pee, poo and paper) down your toilet
If your drain gets blocked, avoid using harsh chemicals as these can damage your plumbing system over time. Contact your local Master Plumber for a professional service: www.masterplumbers.org.nz...
Save up to 10% off RRP when you subscribe to your local newspaper at mags4gifts.co.nz, and enjoy the convenience of safe delivery straight to your home.
By subscribing, you will also be supporting our journalists across the country who work tirelessly to ensure you remain informed as situations evolve.
Are your houseplants looking worse for wear? The experts at Kings Plant Barn would love to help. Send us your houseplant questions and problems to email@example.com, or leave them in the comments, for the houseplant doctor to diagnose. Pictures are encouraged.