Bikkie back lash misses joke - As in Today's Western Leader, Thursday 14 November
The Tannery in New Lynn is selling gender-neutral gingerbread people.
SIOBHAN DOWNES ‘‘It’s become a really good conversation piece in the cafe.’’Andre Cettina An Auckland cafe is spicing things up by ditching the traditional ‘‘ginger bread man’’for a more inclusive title. About a month ago, The Tannery in New Lynn changed the label on its jar of biscuits tor ead:‘‘gingerbread gender-netural person’’. Owner Andre Cettina said the move had been inspired by a customer who questioned why the human-shaped biscuits were called ‘‘gingerbread men’’ and not ‘‘ginger bread people’’.‘‘It was completely tongue-in-cheek at the start,’’ he said. ‘‘But it’s become a really good conversation piece in the cafe.’’Cettina said because the jar was on the front counter, customers had been taking photos and sharing them on social media. ‘‘We’ve had a lot of people commenting saying‘ stop being so pedantic, it’s just a biscuit’.I had to reply to them going, ‘Did you miss the whole point?
However,Cettina said he had also received positive feedback from customers who saw the humour in the name change.‘‘It used to be that 90 per cent of the time we sold [the biscuits ],it was to kids. There’s alot more people buying them now, which is quite funny.’’The Tannery was not the only business to have given the gingerbread man a modern makeover. In April, UK super-market chain Co-op Food said it was launching a new gingerbread ‘‘person’’.The supermarket ran a campaign asking the public to come up with name ideas for the gender-neutral character, who was eventually called:‘‘Crumbs’’.
My opinion is why are you changing a sex of a fairy tale story which is already a part of kid's stories of today?
If anyone does not know the sex of themselves, check between your legs what sex you are.
Are we getting to PC Madness about this? Wake up people. Jesus is coming soon. He will come to judge this world and everything in it.
For over three decades, Readers Tours has been taking our loyal readers on unforgettable journeys exploring the rich history and culture of New Zealand’s hidden gems.
The much loved North and South Island Journeys are back for 2020, along with the launch of two new escapes in both the North and South Island. These new shorter escapes are the perfect length of time for those adventurous seniors who want a taste of the spectacular excursions and sights our country has to offer.
To celebrate the launch of our brand new tours, our friends at TV Guide and Neighbourly are giving away a year’s subscription for TV Guide to one lucky adventurer!
All you have to do is tell us a New Zealand destination you would love to visit via this link and you'll be in the draw to win!
Entries close 19th December 2019.
We’re giving away more of our double passes to the SIX60 Saturdays tour! We’ve drawn another 10 members to go to the regional concerts in Whangarei, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Lower Hutt, and Dunedin.
To be eligible, make sure you are a verified Neighbourly member (need a hand verifying your address? Click here).
We’ll also need to see you being more Neighbourly, whether it’s posting to your neighbourhood, replying to questions or inviting your neighbour to join the site (we’ve put together a few ideas here).
Beneficiaries in Auckland are now being delivered My Food Bag as part of a new Government trial, but not everyone is a fan.
Hundreds of families have been given My Food Bag boxes, with Ministry of Social Development's Viv Rickard saying they were trying to be creative by looking at different ways to support clients. Up to 1000 emergency food bags will be delivered as part of the trial. It comes as more people are struggling to put food on the table, with almost 100,000 New Zealanders a month having to ask WINZ for more to eat. Costing between $200-$300, the emergency food kit is intended to provide breakfast, lunch and dinner for a family for a week. "I would call it nice, it's nice food but no frills," Mr Rickard said. However, recipient Gail Watkins said there was not enough food for her and her daughter to last a week. She said her daughter was gluten-free, so was unable to eat some of the ingredients. Auckland Action Against Poverty's Ricardo Menéndez March said the Government should focus on lifting benefit levels instead of "experimenting with people on the benefit over what they can or cannot eat". National's Louise Upston said there were families that were doing it tough, the Government needed to focus on the family being able to provide their own income and reducing the cost of living. "If they're serious about helping New Zealanders in need, there's way better things they could do." The Ministry say the feedback has mostly been positive, and it is trying to learn from the trial.