18 days ago

Ever noticed the empty buses ? What's the answer ?

Todd Niall Reporter from Auckland Stuff

Hi Neighbours, If buses are running near empty, maybe the traditional way of providing public transport needs a rethink. Read the story below on the empty buses of Hobsonville Point. What's the answer ?

More messages from your neighbours
D
2 hours ago

What's On: Auckland in 2030

David from Newmarket

Hamish Firth will talk about the Unitary Plan and how Auckland and in particular the Epsom electorate is going to look in the future. Host MP David Seymour. All welcome.
Auckland in 2030
  • Mt Eden Village Centre
3 hours ago

Poll: David Bowie's China Girl, Geeling Ching, leads fight against $1m Auckland cycleway

Ripu Bhatia Reporter from Central Leader

A high-profile Kiwi model who featured in a David Bowie music video is caught in a clash to prevent a cycleway being installed in Auckland’s Viaduct.

Auckland Transport has described its Project Wave cycleway trial as the “missing link” in the city centre cycling loop, running along Market Place, Customs Street West, and Lower Hobson Street.

But model, actress and restaurant manager Geeling Ching is among many residents and business owners opposing the million-dollar project.

Do you support the cycleway trial in Auckland Viaduct?

Image
David Bowie's China Girl, Geeling Ching, leads fight against $1m Auckland cycleway
  • 25% Yes
    25% Complete
  • 75% No
    75% Complete
4 votes
4 days ago

Queen Street standoff softens after talks between council and businesses

Caryn Wilkinson Reporter from Community News

Todd Niall

Court action over a planned upgrade to Auckland’s Queen Street may be averted after peace talks between a group of businesses and the council.

Parties are tight-lipped with the Save Queen Street group set to seek an injunction on May 5, but in a joint statement described Friday’s 90-minute meeting as “productive”.

“Save Queen Street, Auckland Council and Auckland Transport had a productive meeting this afternoon and are working together to reach a resolution,” they said in a statement.

The group of retailers and landlords argued that the council was breaking the law in using the restriction of traffic lanes brought in during Covid-19 in 2020, as the basis for a new upgrade due in May.

The “emergency works”, carried out last year, widened pedestrian space by reducing traffic from four lanes to two on the CBD’s main retail strip.

The council plans next month to partially close a section of lower Queen Street to general traffic, and make it more pedestrian-friendly with pocket parks, widened footpaths and seating, in a $1.1 million trial.

Save Queen Street wants all the Covid-19 changes stripped away, before new discussions can begin on making the struggling street more attractive.


The society partly blamed the changes for the declining health of the street, which now has dozens of empty shops, following the loss of tourists, foreign students, and a trend to office employees working more from home.

Today's talks were chaired by the Auckland Council chief executive Jim Stabback, with senior officials from both council and Auckland Transport, but without the mayor Phil Goff.

Goff had previously told Stuff he supported the changes in the council plan.

Hi neighbours, what do you think of the planned upgrade to Auckland's Queen St?

*Please put NFP if you do not want your comments used by Stuff.

Image