19 days ago

Makeover planned for Queen St in Auckland's CBD

Caryn Wilkinson Reporter from Community News

A facelift is set to roll out on Queen St, in Auckland's CBD.

Wide boardwalks, seating and native plants in planter boxes will soon replace the plastic sticks and temporary footpaths on Queen St between Customs St and Shortland St.

Auckland Council has unveiled plans to remove emergency Covid-19 works in the area and create a pocket park on the corner of Queen St and Fort St.

Auckland mayor Phil Goff said Queen St was due for an upgrade.

“We want the street to be more people-friendly and attractive, and to become a place to visit, rather than just pass through,” he said.

“Last year, temporary measures were put in place by Auckland Transport to allow physical distancing during the pandemic. It’s now time for the yellow markers, stone blocks and painted asphalt to be replaced. "

Extended decking pavements, shrubs in proper planter boxes and street furniture will help change the look and feel of the area, Goff said.

These measures would be trialed before permanent changes were made following feedback from businesses, shoppers, visitors and residents, he said.

“Queen Street has taken a hit from COVID-19, with the loss of tourists, cruise ships and international students."

Goff said the council, businesses and residents needed to work together to help the area recover from Covid-19 and become a vibrant place to shop.

The upgrade will enhance other transformations including the refurbishment of the Chief Post Office, the creation of Te Komititanga, the new public space outside Commercial Bay, and Te Wananga, the new space being built over the water by the ferry building, he said.

Meanwhile, Aucklanders are being invited to give their feedback on a proposal to create bus lanes on sections of Queen St.

The changes are touted to improve reliability as more buses use the street during the next phase of the City Rail Link construction.

What do you think of the improvements to Queen St?

Which changes would you like to see there?

*Please put NFP if you do not want your comments used by Stuff.

People have until May 7 to have their say on the changes at:
at.govt.nz...

More messages from your neighbours
1 day ago

Poll: David Bowie's China Girl, Geeling Ching, leads fight against $1m Auckland cycleway

Ripu Bhatia Reporter from Central Leader

A high-profile Kiwi model who featured in a David Bowie music video is caught in a clash to prevent a cycleway being installed in Auckland’s Viaduct.

Auckland Transport has described its Project Wave cycleway trial as the “missing link” in the city centre cycling loop, running along Market Place, Customs Street West, and Lower Hobson Street.

But model, actress and restaurant manager Geeling Ching is among many residents and business owners opposing the million-dollar project.

Do you support the cycleway trial in Auckland Viaduct?

Image
David Bowie's China Girl, Geeling Ching, leads fight against $1m Auckland cycleway
  • 54.2% Yes
    54.2% Complete
  • 45.8% No
    45.8% Complete
24 votes
5 days ago

Poll: Do you support the fine increase for using a mobile while driving from $80 to $150?

Caryn Wilkinson Reporter from Community News

Drivers have been captured on camera boldly using their phones while driving, to video call, text and make calls.

The footage, taken in Auckland, comes as the Government increased the cost of a fine for using a cellphone while driving from $80 to $150.

Over the course of a week, ahead of the fine increase, a Stuff visual journalist captured numerous people using their phones while driving, including a woman who appeared to be on a video call while passing through an intersection, a man speaking on the phone and numerous people texting or looking at their phone.

Last year, police issued more than 40,000 infringement notices for the offence.

A driver for Dingo Groundworx NZ was captured using their phone while driving a truck along Williamson Ave, in Ponsonby.

Owner Cameron Hadley told Stuff all employees were very aware they should not be using their phones while driving.

He said he would be raising the issue in a staff meeting.

AA road safety spokesman Dylan Thomsen told Stuff he wasn’t surprised to hear about the woman video calling while driving.

While AA supports the Government’s fine increase, Thomsen said it wasn’t going to solve the problem.

“People just can’t resist the temptation if they hear their phone go off ... it’s not something you do by accident.”

“A lot of people use their phone behind the wheel and don’t do other risky things.”

He hopes as there are further advancements in technology, phone companies can have default “do not disturb” modes that activate as soon as drivers start moving in their car.

“Until we change the mindset it will be hard with enforcement alone, people don’t appreciate the risks until it’s too late,” Thomsen said.

To see video footage, go here:

www.stuff.co.nz...

*Please put NFP if you do not want your comments used by Stuff.

Image
Do you support the fine increase for using a mobile while driving from $80 to $150?
  • 90.4% Yes
    90.4% Complete
  • 7.9% No
    7.9% Complete
  • 1.7% Unsure- it's too complex
    1.7% Complete
1776 votes
1 day ago

In need🙏🏽😇

Edith from Mount Roskill

Hello everyone 😊im really in need of furniture cutlery ne think really I just got out of a controlling relationship an left it all now I have nothing at all just my clothes 😩I’m moving in my new rental on the 15th please if ne1 has things they no longer need like couch’s dining table just the basics for a home that would be Great please message me god bless yous all❤️🥰