More messages from your neighbours
11 days ago

Council makes it easier for Aucklanders to collect rainwater

The Team from Auckland Council

In response to the severe water shortages, we are encouraging Aucklanders to install rainwater tanks at home by scrapping resource consent fees.

3 days ago

Police end physical search for missing French teen Eloi Rolland

Caroline Williams Reporter from Auckland Stuff

Hi neighbours.
Police say they have exhausted all leads for finding Eloi Rolland, 18, who has been missing from Auckland for almost four months.
The teen, who has limited English, has not been seen since he was captured on CCTV at the Britomart train station on March 7, where he caught a train to New Lynn's Fruitvale Rd station. It's understood he was in the vicinity of Piha Rd and Scenic Drive at 9.18am, but this is where the trail ends.
After more than 1600 hours searching for Rolland, police ended the physical search in May, pending reports of new information or evidence.
Rolland's sister, Aurore Rolland, told Stuff the family were "really sad" the search had been suspended.
"We [are at] the point where we are waiting for a miracle. We believe [he] is not dead in the sea at Piha Beach. Things need to be done, even if we have to search during our entire life."
Click "read more" for the full story.

10 hours ago

Woman in managed isolation escapes from Auckland hotel

Brian from New Lynn

The 43-year-old woman absconded from the Pullman Hotel on foot shortly before 6.20pm last night and was located soon after a couple of blocks away at 8pm on Anzac Avenue. The five police officers who came into contact with the woman while capturing her must now have Covid-19 tests and will also have to self-isolate. The Government's head of managed isolation, Air Commodore Darryn Webb, said: "This was excellent work by police staff who located the woman as quickly as possible. She was located outdoors. The exact movements of the woman are still being determined." The woman remains in police custody while it is determined how she will be managed. Charges are being considered. Webb said the woman was receiving appropriate care while in custody and would be assessed by a clinician. "The woman, who was travelling on her own, arrived in New Zealand from Brisbane, Australia, on 27 June," Webb said in a statement. "She had a Covid-19 test on 30 June which returned a negative result. "We recognise that managed isolation can be stressful for people who come to it with a variety of circumstances. "However, wilfully leaving our facilities cannot and will not be tolerated, and the appropriate action will be taken." Every person who arrives in New Zealand must be isolated from other people for a minimum period of 14 days. They must also test negative for Covid-19 before they can go into the community. This 14-day period forms a critical part of the actions being taken to keep New Zealand and New Zealanders safe during a global pandemic when case numbers are constantly increasing overseas. Police are taking all necessary precautions to keep its staff safe. Further advice would be provided to the officers around self-isolation and testing once police had clarified the movements and contact throughout the incident.