Celia Hay's soufflés served hot from the oven are as impressive as they are comforting.
1 knob Butter, melted, for greasing
¼ cup Breadcrumbs
4 Eggs, at room temperature, separated
290 ml Milk
40 g Butter
30 g Flour
1 tsp Dried mustard
1 pinch Cayenne pepper
85 g Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Heat the oven to 200C. Place a baking sheet on the shelf in the top third of the oven.
2. Brush ramekins or souffle dishes with the melted butter.Coat lightly with breadcrumbs by tilting the ramekins so the breadcrumbs stick to the butter. Tip out any breadcrumbs that do not stick.
3. Separate the eggs. Be sure to get no yolk in the egg whites. Put the whites in a bowl, ready to whisk.
4. Warm the milk in a pot or microwave.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 45 seconds.
6. Gradually add the warmed milk, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat, add the mustard, cayenne pepper, grated cheese and stir in the egg yolks. Taste the mixture — it should have good flavour. Season with salt and pepper if required.
7. Whisk the egg whites until just stiff and mix a spoonful into the cheese mixture to loosen it. Fold in the remainder of the whites with a metal spoon or spatula. Spoon the mixture into the ramekins so they are twothirds full.
8. With the back of a spoon or your fingertip make a one centimetre rim around edge of the souffle mixture. This gives a “top hat’’ appearance to the cooked souffle.
9. Bake for 8-10 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Avoid opening the door until the last minutes of cooking time. To check if the souffle is cooked, wobble the ramekin gently. If it is very wobbly, cook for a little longer
Have your say on the proposed additional traffic lane along Oteha Valley Road Extension in Albany.
The additional traffic lane will reduce travel times and improve travel time reliability for buses and vehicles turning left at the Oteha Valley Road Extension/Dairy Flat Highway intersection.
Feedback in open until Sunday 10 November 2019. To find out more or provide feedback go to www.AT.govt.nz... or call (09) 355 3553.
Have your say at the upcoming public consultation on proposed changes to the Sunset Rd/Target Rd roundabout in Totara Vale.
The additional lanes through the roundabout will reduce travel times and improve travel time reliability for all traffic. This is important because vehicles are experiencing significant delays through this roundabout.
To find out more or provide feedback go to www.AT.govt.nz... or call (09) 355 3553.
If you would like to speak in person, go to the public drop-in session at
Date: 4th November 2019
Time: 4PM – 8PM
Location: Reformed Church of the North Shore, 76 Trias Rd, Totara Vale.
Feedback is open until 10th November 2019.
Now’s a great time to get your painting, staining and wallpapering jobs underway.
Get 30% off Resene premium paints, wood stains, primers and sealers 4L and under including Resene testpots, 30% off our huge range of wallpaper, 25% off Resene premium paints, wood stains, primers and sealers, 25% off decorating accessories and 25% off Resene cleaning products!
Discounts off the normal retail price at your local Resene owned ColorShop and participating reseller until 4 November 2019. Paint offers are also available at Mitre 10 MEGA and selected Mitre 10 stores. Excludes WallPrint, decals, Crown, trade and industrial products, PaintWise levy and account sales.
Visit your local Resene ColorShop or reseller and enjoy these great savings.