Dear neighbours and NZ Gardener family,
Our April issue should be with our subscribers now and available in supermarkets and service stations (having been distributed prior to the lockdown restrictions). Whether or not it's on the stands yet is a bit patchy ... but then the incredibly brave and hard-working supermarket staff have quite a bit on their plate right now so I understand if there is a delay! Please, please, please everyone ... don't go out to buy it! Normally of course we love you buying NZ Gardener but right now it's far more important that you stay home and stay safe. (You can buy a copy with your online shopping though! That's safe and I think we are all in the market for something uplifting to read right now).
In this issue we offered to send out sweet pea seeds to any reader who sent us a SSAE. Just to reassure you, we will still send out sweet pea seeds to any reader who is keen to participate. We are just not quite sure when! Ignore the dates in the magazine of when you needed to send the envelope in by - that has been indefinitely extended. But we cannot wait to send you the seed and for those flowers to bloom as by then we will be well through this or even have it behind us. And keep letting us know what you are sowing and growing, send in pictures of your harvest, your flowers or what you are sharing.
We always love hearing from NZ Gardener readers but now when we are all staying apart that connection means more than you can imagine. Stay home, stay safe and stay in touch everyone. For the most updated gardening advice, subscribe to our digital e-zine Get Growing, which will be delivered to your inbox completely free.
Hey neighbours, how do you feel about the changes to building consent rules for low-risk home projects?
The government says the change will save homeowners time and money, but pro builder and The Block NZ foreman Peter Wolfkamp, is advising caution if you're planning a DIY sleep-out or office. Find out why, here.
NZ Post reveals North Shore and WEST Auckland were the two locations with the most delays.most affected by delays, and why
Chief executive David Walsh told that about two-thirds of the 150,000 parcels delayed from early May after the start of alert level 3 had been cleared, with hopes the rest will be sent out by the end of the week. "Putting it in context, we have moved about 3.5 million parcels in about two weeks. Last week alone, we moved over two million. We'd normally move about a million. It has been an incredibly big amount of items coming in, and we do apologise for the public that have had delays in that as well," he said. "When I was looking through items yesterday, I certainly didn't see anything coming in from April, but it's not impossible that there could, in fact, be some much older items. I have gone through, as much as I can, through the network myself to try and see where they are sitting." He called the demand "unprecedented" and promised the public NZ Post was doing "everything that we can" to address the delays. "It is a combination of a couple of things. It could be a lot of demand for online buying in those areas, but I also know those are our two constrained operating sites," he said. "Just to give perspective, we would normally run 90-100 courier vans out of the North Shore. On Monday this week, we are going to try and put 250 vans up there just to clear the backlog." Walsh said the organisation would look back and consider what's happened as part of its plan for the future. He said the amount of parcels NZ Post was dealing with is what the volume is expected to be in three to four years time, considering the growth in online shopping. NZ Post said last week that it had set up temporary processing sites to help with the onslaught of packages. "We have set up temporary processing sites, and are operating 11 sites 24/7 for the first time. We've brought on hundreds of extra vans and people, and are working around the clock to deliver what you care about.
"This is a one-off situation, and we are really sorry for the delays."