Northgate Community Trust is the community arm of Northcity Church. Our aim is to provide practical service to people and families in need, particularly those that are disadvantaged.
We do this by providing the following services at Northcity church:
- Community Health Clinic - Fridays during the school term 10:00am-1:00pm
In partnership with Belfast North Mediqual Doctors, Northgate has a fantastic team of volunteers who provide hospitality, friendship and support while patients wait to be seen by the doctor. For more details about the clinic and its services, please visit www.mediqual.co.nz/communityclinic.
During clinic time, our café is also open, providing lunch and refreshments at low cost.
- Get Creative Class - 10:00am-12:00 midday on the first Friday of the month during school term
Come along and get creative, express yourself using paints, art mediums, stencils and brushes. All skill levels welcome. No charge.
- Seniors Exercise Class - Fridays during school term 10:00am-10:30am
Low impact exercise classes suitable for the elderly. Cost $2.00.
- Mainly Music - Fridays during the school term 10:30am–11:30am
Music and movement for pre school children. Cost $3 per family, first session free.
- Vegetable Co-op - Low cost, quality, fresh fruit and vegetables
As part of the Fruit & Vege Co-op network, local people can access great produce at a fraction of supermarket prices. Simply register and pay $10.00 by Friday midday then pick up your fruit and vege pack from Northcity after 9am the following Wednesday. After hours pick ups can be arranged if you can’t collect before 5pm.
- Adult Literacy Classes - Part-days Monday, Wednesday and Thursday during the school term.
Free ESOL courses Run in conjunction with Hagley Adult Literacy Centre.
- Foot Clinic - Fortnightly on Fridays during the school term 9:30am-12:30pm
A podiatry service for the elderly or those with health issues.
This is a very popular programme, so please ring for an appointment. Cost $5.00.
- Box 4 Life - Mondays and Thursday evenings (excluding Public Holidays)
Exercise classes based around boxing moves and circuit training, with the additional benefit of health advice from a medical professional. This programme aims to help manage weight, fitness or stress related health issues in a fun, supportive environment. Classes are structured so that you can work at your own pace, so it is suitable for all fitness levels.You won't need a baby-sitter, bring your children with you and exercise as a family! The session fee covers all equipment and instruction. Cost $3.00 per person per class or $6.00 per family per class. Monday 5:45pm-7:00pm and 7:15pm-8:15pm (boxing based exercises) and Thursday 5:45pm-7:00pm (circuit class)
- Te Kete (Formerly the OpShop) - Open 10:00am-4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
- Quality second-hand clothing at bargain prices.
- Simply Cooking – These cooking classes are held in term 2 and term 4 and run for four weeks. They are designed to help stretch the budget and provide tips on how to cook wholesome and economical meals.
- Simply Gardening – The course runs from July through to October and is designed to give you the skills needed to set up a vegetable garden. This is a practical course and hands on where possible.
- Kids in the Kitchen Workshop – this is run in conjunction with Kidsfest during the July school holidays.
- Community Youth Workers – We have fabulous young people engaged as youth workers at Casebrook Intermediate and Papanui High School as part of the 24/7 youth programme, as well as working with youth in the Papanui area through the Zion Dance Studios and Northcity youth programmes.
- Fresh Perspective – Northgate partners with a national organisation to offer this free service that brings trained volunteer mentors into supportive relationships with parents who have asked for help. Mentors aim to help parents and caregivers to recognise their strengths and abilities and to connect them with other supports in their communities. For more information call 0800 555 300 (excluding mobile calls) or check out www.freshperspective.co.nz.