"I've been to many festivals but none as relaxed and friendly as the Going West" Maurice Gee 2015
The Going West Books and Writers Festival began in 1996 and was the Auckland region's first writers' festival.
It focuses on writers, poets and performers from New Zealand and the Pacific - past, present, established and emerging and since it began twenty years ago more than 350 writers and performers have taken part. The Festival is an annual event that takes place throughout August and September across various venues mainly in West Auckland. This year for the first time the Festival has partnered with Te Pou Theatre to present the spring Kaonga Festival.
Events this year include:
* the literary weekend to be held at the Titirangi War Memorial Hall, weekend 11th-13th September, cost from $15.00 per session, some free sessions, single session, day passes, and Weekend Passes available
* the theatre season, "Sister Anzac", Te Pou Theatre, Portage Rd, 3rd-6th September, Tickets $32 / $ 27
* the Poetry Slam, cash prizes ranging from $300 to $1,000, three heats yet to go (heats Tuesday 1 , Thirsty Dog, K'Rd and 8th September, Te Pou , Portage Rd) and Grand Slam Final, 12th September, Titirangi War Memorial Hall, South Titirangi Rd, Heats Free, Grand Final entry $10
* Word Up! Youth Event, Friday 11th September, Corban Estate Arts Centre
*Kaonga Festival @ Te Pou, 44A Portage Rd, Development Season of The Great American Scream, Albert Belz, and Te Kupu, a week-long programme supporting new stories and storytellers
*Whanau Day Saturday 12 September 2015 10am -4pm Free Fun-filled day celebrating storytelling with theatre performances, story readings, face painting, market stalls, children's games and competitions. All booking information and tickets iticket.co.nz or phone iTICKET 09 361 1000
* Booking fees apply except for events held at Te Pou Tickets can also be reserved at Titirangi Pharmacy