Dawn Luscombe is heartbroken following the death of her beloved cat, Dante, after an unknown toxic substance was poured on him.
- Has anything similar happened to your pet recently you'd like to share with us?
Comment or private message.
*Type NF if you do not wish for your comments to be considered for publication.
This week we thought we'd respond to some of the many comments and questions our community have about water/wai. Over the coming days we will touch on water bottling, town supply and water shortages. First up...
❓"Why are you giving our water to China?!"
⚠️Sewage overflow triggers temporary health warning
A sewage overflow in the vicinity of Seaview Road has caused contamination of the Wairere Stream, which flows into the Whakatāne River at Quay Street.
Whakatāne District Council contractors have contained the overflow and are working to address the cause. Council staff are working with the Bay of Plenty Regional Council, Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa and Toi Te Ora Public Health to ensure the appropriate measures are in place to notify the public of the potential health risks. Signs have also been erected at relevant locations advising of the temporary health warning.
A temporary health warning has been issued for recreational water contact, and the gathering and consumption of fish and shellfish for the Wairere Stream, and the Whakatāne River from the Landing Road bridge to the Whakatāne River entrance. Water quality testing will be carried out in the coming days and the community will be advised when the public health warning is lifted.
Whakatāne District Council apologises for this sewage overflow and its impacts on both the river environment, and those who are directly affected by this.