His teachers thought he was being lazy and his dad thought he had growing pains - but actually 15-year-old Josh Skrzypczak had cancer.
The Mt Eden teen was due to sit school exams last week but instead he started chemotherapy after a shock leukaemia diagnosis.
His father encouraged other parents to seek medical advice sooner rather than later if their child was ill, saying this could "basically happen to anyone".
Hi Neighbours, Eden Park events can divide opinion. Now it wants to stage a one-off Sunday night T20 cricket match, India vs Black Caps, on Auckland's anniversary weekend. What do you think? Read the story below:
(Please type NFP if your comment is not for print)
An Auckland dog owner is warning of the dangers rat bait can cause after her beloved pet nearly died after ingesting it twice.
Tracy Leach said her 8-year-old golden retriever Daisy first got sick about four weeks ago on their rural property in Glenbrook, south of Auckland.
She bounced back pretty quickly but Leach started to notice she was vomiting constantly and consuming a lot of water - causing her to take Daisy back to the vet.
To read more click here
Locals helping locals.
It's mid winter and we have heaps of children suffering from the cold....come join us to help them.
We hand sew beautiful blankets to help our local kids in need.
last year we made approx 100 blankets!
Just pop in with friends, or become a regular part of our lovely group for the year.
No experience needed.
We have all the equipment.
All hand stitching
6.30 to 8.30pm
Mt Albert YMCA
773 New North Road.
No need to register, just turn up.
We look forward to meeting you!